Salt Cod (Bacalao) with Red Peppers, Garlic and Kalamata Olives
We serve this as an appetizer warm with slices of thin baguette, but it’s also great at room temperature.
- 1 1/2-2 lb. salt cod fillets
- 2/3 cup kalamata olives, pits removed, coarse chop
- 1/2 C Spanish piquillo pepper or 1 med. roasted red pepper, cut into 1/2 inch long strips
- 6 whole cloves garlic peeled
- 4 good quality anchovies, we use Ortiz brand, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 t rice wine vinegar
- 2 T chopped Italian parsley
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 t pickled jalapeño, chopped
- Milk for poaching
Rinse salt off of salt cod fillets then cut into 2 inch wide pieces and submerge in a bowl with a good amount of water and refrigerate for 24 hours changing the water at least twice a day.
Rinse fish and poach in a combination of milk & water over low heat for 8-10 min. or until it flakes off the bone. After it’s cooled, flake into nice sized pieces.
In a med. frying pan add enough olive oil to cover bottom of pan about 1/8 of an inch and over low heat. Add whole garlic cloves and turn them occasionally until soft and golden brown – remove them from pan and set aside.
Turn up the heat to med.- high and add cod, piquillo pepper strips, olives, pepper flakes (if you’re using them), anchovies, jalapeño, rice wine vinegar, parsley and garlic cloves and gently stir until anchovies are dissolved.
Pour, with all of the olive oil into serving dish. Serve with thin sliced baguette.